Sunday, January 25, 2009

How to view Netflix "Watch Instantly" from Guam (or anywhere else).

So you want to use Netflix "Watch Instantly" from anywhere (but especially Guam)? Here's how you do it ... but first a word about why I love Netflix.

Cheaper on Amazon!Netflix is a great thing. DVD rental shipping to Guam is fantastic and quick. Also, if you got a Blu-Ray player for the holidays, you can watch Lost Season 4 in Hi-Def without taking out a second mortgage.

If you love movies, hate late fees and don't want to spend your grocery money on DVDs, there's no reason not to be a member. Plus, no piracy!

Here's the problem.

One of Netflix's best features is "Watch Instantly." This allows you to watch thousands of movies, TV shows and more on your computer, Xbox 360, network appliances (like TiVo) and some internet-aware Blu-Ray players.

Watch what you want with no downloading, no piracy, no waiting for the mail.

Sounds great doesn't it?

But when you click the "Watch Instantly" tab, you see this:

No Netflix for You!!

You'll read that the service doesn't work outside the Continental U.S., Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii. That means users in Guam or any other country with a Netflix account can't access the full power of Netflix.

WatchCSIHowever, we have ways of getting what we want ... for instance watching the last Three seasons of C.S.I. on demand.

In order watch what we want, we must fool Netflix into thinking we aren't where we really are.

We have to make Netflix think we're in a state that can vote.

In other words our computer must look like it's in the Mainland.


The Solution.

The answer is this Web site: http://www.hotspotshield.com/

HotSpot LogoIt's a free VPN service but you don't need to know what a VPN is if you don't want to. All you need to know is that it makes your traffic secure and that it disguises your computer's location as being in the Continental United States.


AND IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY.

Just download the free utility and then connect. After you connect, your computer will look like just another U.S. based user.

Now when you click the "Watch Instantly" tab you'll see this:

Watch Now!!!

There's little or no slowdown and viewing movies and TV shows is easy.

Got an Xbox 360?

You can also use this method to activate your Xbox 360's Netflix service.

Normally after your Xbox Netflix feature gives you your 4-digit activation code, you get this when you go to the activation page on Netflix.

The Netflix Ready Device can be used only within the 50 US states and the District of Columbia. It cannot be activated and will not function in US territories or protectorates, or in other countries.

If you use HotSpotShield, you get this instead:Activate!

Now you can enjoy Netflix watch instantly on your TV!

Watch it!

Enjoy the Movies!!

* This also works with Pandora Internet Radio and Rhapsody unlimited music service and NBC.com if you want to watch shows or enjoy the online commentary on Heroes episodes.

13 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm moving to Guam this summer and was wondering how to keep my Netflix subscription going...hope this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already tried it and it works!!! I've lived in Puerto Rico for a year and haven't been able to watch instantly since I moved. We aren't considered to be part of the mainland and therefore we also get that message on the "Watch Instantly" tab.
    Thank you for the solution!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm moving to Guam in March and I don't really know anything about watching movies on the computer, but did you say that they'll ship the movies out there just like normal? How long does it take? Like, from me dropping one that I've watched in the mail until I can get a replacement? If you don't mind emailing me at jzandee@hotmail.com, I'd really really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried it but is doesnt work for netflix just for hulu and fancast

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it works on the computer, but not on the xbox. I was able to activate the xbox and I can see my queue on the xbox, but when I try to play a movie I get the 50 states message. I'm in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Has anyone figured a way around getting the message on the xbox? Is there a way to run hotspotshield on the xbox, too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having the same problem I could activate the BD player but then when I go to watch on the player, I get the message that from my location cannot access.

    On my computer it works great.

    I guess the problem is to have hotspotshield to be on the player. I will try to have the computer send the signal to the player or to the modem and from there transmit to the player.

    If you find any other way please inform, I'm located in Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Guam and downloaded Hotspot Shield. It allows me to see the movies available to "watch instantly" and tells me the movie will start shortly. Then it gives me the error message again. Any ideas on how to fix this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Susana

    Hotspot Shield is now blocked by Netflix and also the bandwidth they provided was not enough to get good quality.

    I live abroad in Europe ended up getting a high-speed VPN specifically for accessing media with VPNTelevision (based in USA). I have been with them for about a year and never had a single problem.

    I paid $55 dollars for the whole year with unlimited bandwidth (1GBit speed) and have been very satisfied. The tech guys really helped with with all the configurations and have a money back guarantee.

    I can now access hulu, pandora and all other US media sites (and UK too)

    http://www.VPNTelevision.com

    Good luck!

    Markku

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. Very cool website!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I am happy to locate so much helpful info right here in the article. Thank you for sharing… รีวิวหนัง Netflix

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you’re on top of things. You sound like you understand what you’re talking about! Thanks and good luck! Have a nice day! 10 อันดับหนังซอมบี้

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day. Very cool website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I’m glad to find so much helpful information right here within the article. Thank you for sharing… หนังทำรายได้สูงสุดตลอดกาล

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people were enthusiastic players or enjoyed music and dancing. Chances are you’ll remember that you were happiest on the running track. Even so, with increasing obligations maybe you have found no time to have pleasure in any of your interests. Are you affected by depression and want to get free from its abysmal depths without lifelong antidepresants? You could attempt and help yourself to overcome depression naturally. แนะนำ 10 ซีรี่ย์คอมเมดี้

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of thanks for all your valuable hard work on this blog. My aunt take interest in setting aside time for internet research and it’s really easy to understand why. I hear all regarding the compelling means you convey helpful tips and hints on your web site and as well as attract contribution from people on this area of interest while our princess is now becoming educated a lot of things. Enjoy the rest of the new year. Your conducting a fabulous job. รีวิว Viking Netflix

    ReplyDelete